Thursday 14 March 2013

When Death Guard Go Bad

I've been toying with the idea of collecting a post-heresy, Death Guard gone bad army to mirror my pre-heresy loyalist Death Guard. There are a number of potential benefits, one being that I think I have come across a way of painting Chaos Death Guard which is a nice balance of Nurgle 'Ickky' and the more worn pre-heresy Death Guard colour-scheme.

I tried my proposed paint-scheme on a Forgeworld Nurgle Sorcerer model I had knocking about.

Overall I'm fairly pleased with the outcome. The mixture of greens and whites still suggests the original Astartes Legion origins of the chaos sorcerer but combined with heavier than usual oil-paint coat, shows a level of decay and corruption.

As usual, I can't paint just one thing at a time, so I've also updated my Necron test miniature with more bare / worn metal showing through the rust layer. I'm still not happy with it but it is a step in the right direction.

2 comments:

  1. Mate, I love your painting style. Every single time you post stuff it reminds me that it is exactly the way I want to paint marines but am just a little too scared to add so much weathering to them! I tried with the dreadnought on my blog which went OK. Maybe I should just man up and do a tac squad eh?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I found it a bit daunting the first time I started to weather one of my Mark IV Tac Squads. However I found as long as I only do small batches at a time and keep an cotton bud handy, if the oil paint gets too thick I could clean it up quickly - much easier to correct mistakes if you make any.

      I'd suggest giving it a whirl, you may find it quite fun.

      Delete